Friday, April 15, 2011

Why Guillaume?

May 7, 1974

My life has gone downhill. Around 1973, West German security organizations received information that one of my personal assistants, Günter Guillaume, was a spy for East Germany. I was asked to continue work as usual, so I agreed, even taking a private vacation with Guillaume. Guillaume was arrested on April 24, 1974, and the West German government blamed me for having a spy in my party. At the same time, some revelations about my private life appeared in newspapers. This Guillaume affair and the publicity of my short-lived affairs with prostitutes and my struggle with alcohol caused me much disgrace. I even contemplated suicide drafted a suicide note. However, I have decided instead to accept responsibility for Guillaume, and resigned on May 7, 1974. I have recently discovered that Guillaume had been a spy for East Germany, supervised by Markus Wolf, head of the Main Intelligence Administration of the East German Ministry for State Security. Wolf stated after the reunification that my resignation had never been intended, and that the affair had been one of the biggest mistakes of the East German secret service. This was led 1957-1989 by Erich Mielke, an old follower of Stalin and Beria. Although I have left the world of politics now, I still hold strong suspicion toward my fellow Social Democrat and rival, Herbert Wehner, who could very likely have been scheming my downfall. I can no longer tolerate any more of the sentiments betrayal and stress that my chancellor position has brought me. May Germany succeed without me. With my best wishes, I send my country off with a goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment